Condo Board in Massachusetts Not Allowing Accessibility Accommodations?


Do you live in a condo or other types of public buildings, and your landlord of the Condo Board isn’t allowing accessibility accommodations that you need for functionality?

Are you wondering who you can contact for help with this problem?

Condo Board in Massachusetts Not Allowing Accessibility Accommodations?

The Architectural Access Board (AAB) develops and enforces regulations designed to make public buildings accessible to, functional for, and safe for use by persons with disabilities. Pursuant to M.G.L. c. 22, § 13A, the AAB has issued regulations in order to make public buildings and facilities accessible to, functional for, and safe for use by persons with disabilities.

These regulations, which are listed as Section 521 of the Code of Massachusetts Regulations, apply to all buildings and facilities in the Commonwealth that are open to members of the public including but not limited to, retail establishments, hotels and motels, multiple dwellings, educational facilities, medical facilities, detention facilities, places of worship, restaurants, and transportation facilities.

Accessible Solutions can help you navigate the laws in Massachusetts to ensure that you get the accommodations that you need and deserve, not to mention are entitled to under the State of Massachusetts laws. We’re accessibility specialists that have been in business since 1978, and we’ve helped hundreds of disabled individuals get the disability accommodations that they need to be functional again.

The AAB’s definition of “Accessible” means a site, building, facility or portion thereof that complies with 521 CMR and that can be approached, entered, and used by persons with disabilities. When the term “>accessible” is used, it shall mean both physical and communication accessible unless otherwise noted in 521 CMR. This definition of accessibility is exactly what the AAB ensures disabled people have access to in their daily routines. If you feel you are not currently in an accessible living location, you should contact Accessible Solutions, immediately.

Upon contacting Accessible Solutions, we will begin the process of helping you file a complaint with the AAB based on the details of your case. This complaint will be the basis for a legal process that will force your landlord or Condo Board to allow accessibility modifications to be made to your living quarters, which may include the installation of a Barrier-Free Walk-In Shower, the installation of ramps, the widening of doorways if you are in a wheelchair and other modifications that are necessary to bring your building up to code with what the AAB defines as “accessible”.